Ever since I became a Startingbloc Fellow, (a social entrepreneurship fellowship program) back in 2012, I have been following/stalking the development of sustainable companies and their growth in mainstream popularity. I’m so pleased to see the continuing adoption of the B Corp (Benefit Corps) certification by brands, and the increased awareness for what it means by consumers.
What is a B Corp you might ask?
Here’s what their website has to say: “Certified B Corporations are businesses that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose. B Corps are accelerating a global culture shift to redefine success in business and build a more inclusive and sustainable economy.
The B Corp community works toward reduced inequality, lower levels of poverty, a healthier environment, stronger communities, and the creation of more high quality jobs with dignity and purpose. By harnessing the power of business, B Corps use profits and growth as a means to a greater end: positive impact for their employees, communities, and the environment.”
Basically they’re companies that have committed to doing good for you and the earth – they view good business as one that focuses on profit and purpose. How can you go wrong? Since most of these brands have at least one competitor that’s NOT a B Corp, I think its best to support those that are. Would you agree?
I plan to update this list with time, but for starters – here’s some of my favorite B Corp brands and the products I love…
- New Belgium Beer (found at most grocery stores!)
- King Arthur Flour
- They have such a great selection of gluten free and organic flours etc.
- Sir Kensington
- Obsessed with this newly discovered “Special Sauce” that’s a vegan, spicy mayo and pretty much can go on everything.
- Stonyfield Organic
- Finally got my first pair over Christmas – these – and I’m obsessed. Walking on clouds, super easy to clean, and very light weight. Waiting for them to make more kids shoes!
- My husband is obsessed. I think he secretly wishes he was a mountain man vs. a SWFL beach bum based on what’s always on his wish list…
- I’m slowly transitioning all of my workout and swim gear to Athleta, because not only do I love their B Corp status – but their clothes do not smell! They’re wonderful quality and hold up extremely well after my “super hard workouts” and washing. Currently 60% of their fabrics are made from recyclable materials – but they’re adding more this year!
- Toms of Maine
- Emma is obsessed with this Strawberry Toothpaste! Makes the chore much easier.
- Happy Baby
- Seventh Generation
- Casper Mattresses
- We admittedly do not have one (yet!) but I’m hoping to buy this one for Emma when we upgrade her bedroom.
- Uncommon Goods
- This site is awesome for unique gifts. One year, I did half of my Christmas list from this website alone! Plus they support small crafters/designers, which I always love as well.
- olly Vitamins
- I give the kids these multivitamins – they sell other vitamin products as well, but I’m honestly not much for remembering more meds than required.
- Stashers – silicone bags
- Here’s a basic lunch bag they sell other sizes as well – but they can be used as sandwich bags, storage in the freezer, heat up food in the oven/microwave, and then thrown in the dishwasher to wash. Magic really.
Did you know, Myers-Briggs Company is also a B Corp?
I love supporting all these businesses as prove that profit doesn’t need to come over purpose, and that you can be a large corporation – while still caring about your environmental and social impact.
Own a company and considering adding this certification to your portfolio- check out here.
Did I miss your favorite B-Corp?