With the big holiday coming up – we very often think of very “American” celebrations: lots of meat on the grill, balloons, plastic silverware and single-use plates, lots of cheap flags and toys, and of course, fireworks.
Additionally, you may have already seen posts on social media – but this month is Plastic Free July!
This year – lets align a bit more with the month’s campaign “Plastic Free July” during our celebrations. You can still have fun and honor our country, but with a bit more environmental consciousness.
- Sign up + commit to Plastic Free July here
- Skip the sparklers and balloons (neither are biodegradable!)
- Buy biodegradable paper plates + napkins (available at most grocery stores), OR just use your regular ceramic plates.
- Remember your reusable water bottles while watching fireworks (even if they’re filled with wine!!)
- Purchase any party foods without extra plastic bags and carry home in your grocery totes
- Pick up any extra trash or recycling wherever you may be celebrating. The world needs more people that care!
Bad news on Fireworks…
“Fireworks cause extensive air pollution in a short amount of time, leaving metal particles, dangerous toxins, harmful chemicals and smoke in the air for hours and days. Some of the toxins never fully decompose or disintegrate, but rather hang around in the environment, poisoning all they come into contact with. Exposure to fine particles, like those found in smoke and haze, is linked to negative health implications, such as coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, asthma attacks and even heart attacks, according to the EPA. People at greatest risk for problems are those with heart or lung disease, older adults and children.” – Source
Remember, we can’t change the world overnight. Baby steps.